Oct 21, 2008

Maine 26.2, Mt. Desert Island

CDW warms up post-race in the car with the furkids.
Happy finishers and "Team Manager" Greg (he's not really the manager - he's just recovering from surgery).
Dr. Neal really enjoyed this one!
Our fearless leader, Coach Bob, at mile 20.  You go Coach Bob!
This is just one breathtaking view from the course.
A big pack of Pacemakers at mile 12.  Why are these people so happy?
CDW is feeling good at mile 20.  Lookin' good, too!
JAS and the pupps at the Gotts Island post-office.
The view from our hotel.
CDW and Jacks enjoy the ride back from Gotts Island.  Jacks decided to take a dip in the Atlantic!  He found it . . . refreshing.

What a race! Congratulations to all of the Pacemakers that toughed out this extremely challenging course.  I was only driving it, and I noted the constant uphill climb . . .  There were nearly 20 Pacemakers there, plus a few spouses, and a couple of injured runners.  I guess I qualify for two of those categories.

Just one highlight of the whirlwind tour (to Maine to run 26.2 and back all within 72 hours and driving WITH DOGS) was a trip to Gotts Island.  Gotts is just off the coast of Maine, and there aren't many full-time inhabitants - there is no public electricity.  You can only get there by boat. Our friend and fellow runner Jim has a house there.  His home is powered by solar energy, which we thought was very cool.  He has a treadmill there, and a little dirt track in the backyard for when he misses Wednesday mornings at Gilman (that's an inside thing).  Sorry the picts aren't in order. One day I will learn to do that, but not today as I take a 3 hour break from mid-term madness.

This evening we watched "Who Killed the Electric Car."  Not quite as exciting as "The Business of Being Born," but I would still recommend.  Counting the days until our next fuel-efficient vehicle . . .

No comments:

About Us

My photo
Baltimore, MD
This is the true story of two people, two dogs, and two cats living in 900 square feet. Find out what happens when people stop being nice, and start blogging.