Something about us seems to attract stray animals. Last week I stopped by the vet's office to pick up some prescriptions. Outside the vet's office were three middle school students, and they were playing with kittens. I asked them if the kittens belonged to them (they weren't in a cage). The kids told me that on their way home from school they saw the kittens in a bush at Johns Hopkins Bayview (right off of busy Eastern Avenue!). The kids caught the kittens - not knowing what to do next they brought them to the vet. The vet's office turned them away - some ridiculousness about them not being a SPCA. So now the kids were sitting in the parking lot, wondering what to do with these kitties. I wish we heard more stories in the news about kids in Baltimore City doing great things like this. I agreed to take home the kitties, and foster them until they could be adopted. Meet Willa and Joe Flacco (we call him JoeJoe).
The vet thinks they are 4-5 weeks old now. Joe F has a case of ringworm, but that is pretty treatable. These little guys are growing quickly; when we first got them they seemed a little underdeveloped; they were the slowest kittens I had ever seen (I was able to catch them, which means that they are really slow). We've been feeding them KMR (kitten formula) and they're putting on great weight, and more playful by the day. They have been admitted into Recycled Love's adoption pool, which means that they will be placed in wonderful forever homes as soon as they are vaccinated/spayed/neutered/ringworm free. Many of you probably remember Recycled Love as the organization we worked with for our foster dog Abbi. We're so grateful to them for the work they do for homeless and unwanted animals in Baltimore, and we're thrilled to partner with them. You can visit their website at http://www.recycledlove.org/
This last weekend was also exciting because I started my yoga instructor training course. This is a huge commitment - 20 hours/weekend for 9 months, and 3-6 yoga classes per week. We also have a long reading list, and have to learn some Sanskrit. At the end of our first weekend my hamstrings were achy, but I was surprisingly energized. We ate communal vegan meals all weekend, and the energy of the class as a whole is tremendously positive and welcoming. This is going to be an intense year, but I am excited about this journey. If you are in the Baltimore area, I need lots of practice teaching and providing assists, so please let me know if you are interested! You can see a photo of our class here:
http://www.charmcityyoga.com/blog/
No comments:
Post a Comment